The Xarelto lawsuit represents one of the largest mass torts faced by Johnson & Johnson and Bayer Company. More than 18,000 lawsuits have been filed, alleging complaints ranging from uncontrolled bleeding and brain hemorrhage, to stroke and wound leakage complications. Plaintiffs contend they would have never taken the drug had they known of these potentially life-threatening side effects and the lack of antidote to reverse them.
The Showard Law Firm is a female-led legal team in Southern Arizona representing plaintiffs in Xarelto blood thinner lawsuits. Since 1990, we’ve taken on big and challenging litigation with the compassion and resources necessary to win. If you or a loved one has suffered adverse health complications you suspect may be linked to Xarelto use, call 866-307-2147 for a free case evaluation to start exploring your legal options.
Uncontrolled bleeding: primary Xarelto side effect
Uncontrolled bleeding is the primary allegation at the heart of this litigation. As an anticoagulant drug, Xarelto (rivaroxaban) works by inhibiting the body’s natural production of thrombin – a key component in blood clotting. Low levels of thrombin are good for people who are at high risk for developing blood clot and stroke. Without thrombin, internal injuries to organs, blood vessels, veins, or capillaries result in continuous bleeding, leading to serious side effects or death from blood loss.
Xarelto bleeding is particularly dangerous since patients do not make good candidates for surgery which causes additional bleeding. Until the FDA approved Andexxa in May 2018, there had been no known antidote to stop bleeding caused by Xarelto – unlike other anticoagulant drugs which could be counteracted with vitamin K or dialysis.
Sometimes the symptoms of internal hemorrhage are subtle and go unnoticed for months. Unlike other drugs in its class, Xarelto does not require patient blood monitoring, which could help detect internal problems before they escalate. Even if internal bleeding was discovered, health care providers have little guidance as to how to remedy the situation.
Symptoms of bleeding can manifest in many ways including:
- Bruising easily
- Bleeding gums
- Heavy nosebleeds
- Excessive menstrual bleeding
- Coughing or vomiting up blood
- Headaches, dizziness, or weakness
- Red or black-colored urine or stool
- Shortness of breath and low blood pressure
- Wounds that do not stop bleeding with pressure
- Cravings for ice, chalk, or clay due to iron deficiency
Other Xarelto side effects
Most commonly, patients experience minor Xarelto side effects like acute muscle and back pain, dizziness, leg weakness, and “pins and needles” sensations in the extremities.
Some lawsuits against Xarelto allege other serious and life-threatening side effects:
- Abnormal liver function
- Chronic Hepatitis
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Shortness of Breath
- Spinal Epidural Hematoma
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
- Vanishing Bile Duct Syndrome
FDA action regarding Xarelto’s warning label
Since 2013, the FDA has released several updates to Xarelto’s warning label:
- August 2013: Added a Black Box warning (the most serious type) for spinal bleeding, blood clot, DVT risks.
- January 2014: Warned about the lack of antidote and risks to patients with prosthetic heart valves.
- March 2014: Provided healthcare providers with additional direction for limiting spinal bleeding.
- December 2014: Included new adverse reactions like thrombocytopenia and Hepatitis.
- May 2016: Update warnings of increased bleeding risk related to SSRI and SNRI antidepressant use.
- October 2016: Gave healthcare providers updated precautions for preventing spinal bleeding.
- March 2017: Added a Black Box warning of the increased bleeding risk with use of NSAIDs, Aspirin, and combined P-gp and strong CYP3A4 inhibitors like traconazole, ketoconazole, conivaptan, lopinavir, and indinavir.
- February 2018: Included risks for pregnant or nursing women, advised patients to take medication with food, and added the results of the EINSTEIN CHOICE study advocating for lower doses with extended treatment of VTE.
- June 2018: Shared information regarding the new reversal agent available to Xarelto users.
Despite the numerous safety label updates over the years, the FDA never taken the dramatic step of issuing any sort of Xarelto recall.
Xarelto Multidistrict Litigation (MDL 2592)
There is no Xarelto class action lawsuit—but, rather, individual lawsuits with their own lawyers organized into multidistrict litigation (MDL 2592) before the Honorable Eldon E. Fallon in New Orleans, Louisiana. MDL helps to streamline common issues of discovery in an effort to expedite case resolution.
Many of the Xarelto lawsuits filed against Bayer are being remanded back to federal district courts. In February 2018, Judge Eldon Fallon ordered two separate waves of lawsuits, each comprised of 600 cases to be prepared for trial. The first group was selected on April 30, 2018 and the second will be selected on August 30, 2018. These cases will then go through case-specific discovery to be prepared for trial in their home court jurisdictions.
The Showard Law Firm currently represents two of these early trials locally in Tucson, AZ. We are actively fielding inquiries about the filing of additional lawsuits.
Xarelto lawsuit settlement amounts
There have been no Xarelto settlements to date. However, Xarelto attorneys are demanding:
- Tangible economic losses (past, present, and future estimated medical expenses and wage losses)
- Emotional pain & suffering (multiple surgeries, long periods of disability, loss of function, death, etc.)
- Punitive measures (the proven liability and culpability of the defendant)
Contact a Xarelto lawyer
There are many personal injury lawyers to choose from, but it is always best to work with an experienced Xarelto lawyer who is familiar with the facts surrounding the case and who has the resources necessary to win. The Showard Law Firm in Southern Arizona is preparing several cases for trial. As Tucson’s local law firm, we meet with every plaintiff, offering compassion and expertise. Call today to set up a free consultation with a member of our team.
Additional Xarelto lawsuit resources:
- JPML – Pending MDLs, http://www.jpml.uscourts.gov/sites/jpml/files/Pending_MDL_Dockets_By_District-July-16-2018.pdf
- FDA – Xarelto Drug Safety Labeling Changes, https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/safetylabelingchanges/index.cfm?event=searchdetail.page&DrugNameID=238
- Yahoo – Judge’s Order Sets 1,200 Xarelto Product Liability Lawsuits For Separate Jury Trials, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/judges-order-sets-1-200-213200683.html
- Reuters- Bayer & JJ Win Reversal of $28 Million Verdict in Xarelto Lawsuit, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bayer-xarelto/bayer-jj-win-reversal-of-28-million-verdict-in-xarelto-lawsuit-idUSKBN1EZ08M
- Clot Connect – How Do I Know If I Am Bleeding From Blood Thinners? http://patientblog.clotconnect.org/2011/08/17/being-on-blood-thinners-how-do-i-know-i-am-bleeding/
Have You Been Harmed by Xarelto Medication?
Please call today to schedule your FREE consultation with one of our attorneys to discuss your case: (520) 622-3344 or toll free (866) 307-2147
Trademark Notice: The use of the name of any product is strictly for identification purposes in attorney advertising. Showard Law Firm is in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of any product referenced on this site.