The Journal of Pediatrics recently published a study showing thtat over the past decade increasing numbers of young children have been hospitalized or injured due to accidental poisoning from prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications. The majority of the cases involved unintentional self-ingestion for example where a child finds pills from an open container prescrived to a bparent or family member. Fewer cases were a result of errors in dosing. If you have young children in your home take precautions to ensure that the children cannot accidently ingest your medications. Medication bottles should include child-resistant caps and be kept in a locked container box or cabinet. If you transfer your pills to a pill-minder container make sure it is safely secured and outside of the reach of children. If you see a child accidently ingest a prescription or OTC medication immediately contact your local poison-control center and the chiild’s health car provider. if the child appears to be having a serious reaction call 911 immediately.
Author: Sarah Showardhttp://showardlaw.com
Sarah Showard graduated from the University of Maryland in 1985, Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English-Linguistics and a Certification in Women's Studies. She then graduated from New York University School of Law in 1988. Sarah began practice initially as an insurance defense attorney, and has been representing plaintiffs since 1990.