Johnson & Johnson faces about 13,000 lawsuits related to ovarian cancer and mesothelioma allegedly linked to the regular use of talcum powder products like Shower to Shower and baby powder. Most claims have been streamlined and consolidated into MDL 2738, while others are processing in small batches around the country.
Though Johnson & Johnson has not admitted any liability, judges and juries have been largely sympathetic to plaintiffs. Lawyers for the plaintiffs have successfully been able to argue that J&J was aware that talcum products are “possibly carcinogenic,” and that they funded shadow research in an effort to disprove it.
Showard Law Firm is currently accepting cases from individuals suffering serious health problems following daily use of Johnson & Johnson talc-based products. Contact us for a free talcum powder lawsuit evaluation. If we agree to handle your claim, you will not be obligated to pay us a single cent unless we win compensation on your behalf. In order to have a viable claim, you must meet the statute of limitations for your state (which can be as short as one year from the realization of harm), so do not delay in seeking legal counsel.
Talc Lawsuit Settlement
Talcum powder lawsuit settlements may include payment for:
- Compensatory Damages – Doctor’s visits, hospital bills, medication costs, and lost wages.
Estimates based on future needs can be calculated with the help of medical experts.
- Pain and Suffering Damages – Physical pain, distress, emotional pain, and loss of enjoyment.
These amounts can be based on 2-5x the compensatory damages.
- Punitive Damages – Defendants who are reckless or grossly negligent may be slapped with a big fine.
Intentionally causing harm, concealing evidence, and putting profits over patients can be grounds.
- Survivor Benefits – Spouses and dependents may petition for compensation in a wrongful death suit.
Funds may include supplemental financial support, loss of guidance, or funeral and burial costs.
How Much Could Your Baby Powder Lawsuit Settlement Be Worth?
The amount a person receives in a baby powder lawsuit settlement will be based on actual medical expenses, wages and missed days of work, the extent of injury, and the amount of suffering caused. Plaintiffs who used talcum powder daily for years will generally have a stronger case than infrequent users who may have discontinued using the product long ago.
J&J Talcum Powder Verdicts: Millions and Even Billions Awarded to Plaintiffs
If Johnson & Johnson talc settlement talks fall flat, the case may proceed to court. Early cases in 2016 and 2017 reached varied verdicts – some in favor of J&J, others in favor of the plaintiffs.
Multiple juries have awarded high sum verdicts to talcum powder lawsuit plaintiffs, including $4.6 billion paid to 16 ovarian cancer patients and six families of decedents in St. Louis, MO in July of 2018. Other big-money verdicts include:
- $325 million for mesothelioma patient Donna Olson and her husband (New York, NY; May 2019)
- $25 million for mesothelioma patient Joanne Anderson (Los Angeles, CA; May 2018)
- $117 million for mesothelioma patient Stephen Lanzo (New Brunswick, NJ; April 2018)
- $110 million for ovarian cancer patient Louis Slemp (St. Louis, MO; May 2017)
- $70 million for ovarian cancer patient Deborah Giannecchini (St. Louis, MO; November 2016)
- $55 million for ovarian cancer patient Gloria Ristesund (St. Louis, MO; May 2016)
J&J Agrees to Talcum Powder Settlements with Some Plaintiffs
In January 2019, J&J agreed to pay a $1.5 million talcum powder settlement to a 78-year-old woman with mesothelioma in Manhattan, NY. In March of 2019, Johnson & Johnson reached confidential talc cancer settlements with plaintiffs in California, Oklahoma, and New York:
- A 36-year-old Los Angeles woman with mesothelioma who’d used J&J baby powder since infancy.
- A 41-year-old New York woman who had an expert ready to testify she had asbestos and talc (from using Shower to Shower for feminine hygiene) found in her ovarian and fallopian tissue at the time of her ovarian cancer diagnosis.
- A 77-year-old woman with peritoneal mesothelioma, as her case was pending in Oklahoma City court.
A J&J spokesperson stated, “There are one-off situations where settlement is reasonable,” but added that they stand by the safety of its talc and will continue to “vigorously defend” the safety of baby powder. “We do not have any organized program to settle Johnson’s Baby Powder cases, nor are we planning a settlement program,” the company said.
How Long Does It Take to Settle A Talcum Powder Case?
If no global settlement is reached, each case in MDL 2738 will be heard individually in the courts where they were originally filed. However, the organization into multi-district litigation provides plaintiffs with the benefit of cohesive discovery, pre-trial motions, and case streamlining that could lead to faster settlements. With roughly 140 cases down, over 11,000 to go, and J&J fighting every step of the way, reaching satisfying resolutions for plaintiffs could take a long time.
If you’re wondering, “How long does it take to settle a talcum powder case?”, the answer depends upon how soon you file and how prepared your legal team is. Generally speaking, a talcum powder case may resolve within a few months or within a few years. Plaintiffs who are gravely ill may be bumped to the front of the line.
To see if you are eligible to pursue a talcum powder lawsuit settlement, please contact Showard Law Firm today.
- CNBC, J&J ordered to pay $300 million in punitive damages in talc baby powder case, https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/johnson-johnson-must-pay-300-million-punitive-award-in-talc-case-company-will-appeal.html
- NY Times – J&J Told To Pay $4.7 Billion in Baby Powder Litigation, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/business/johnson-johnson-talcum-powder.html
- Bloomberg – J&J’s Sudden Talc-Cancer Settlements Aren’t Its Usual Style, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-27/johnson-johnson-settles-oklahoma-talc-cancer-case
- Reuters, NJ Jury Finds J&J Not Liable in Talc Cancer Trial; Company Settles Three Other Cases, https://www.reuters.com/article/us-johnson-johnson-cancer-lawsuit/new-jersey-jury-finds-jj-not-liable-in-talc-cancer-trial-company-settles-three-other-cases-idUSKCN1R81XR
- JPML – Pending Dockets, https://www.jpml.uscourts.gov/sites/jpml/files/Pending_MDL_Dockets_By_District-April-15-2019.pdf