The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned about the risk of infection when clinics re-use injections intended for single-use only. According to MSNBC.msn.com, 10 patients in Arizona and Delaware got serious infections requiring hospitalization after they were injected with diluted drugs intended to be administered to one patient only.
A nationwide shortage of drug vials intended for multiple patients forced the clinics to take single-use drug vials, dilute the drugs and use them on several patients, the CDC said. Since 2007, 20 incidents have occurred, according to the agency. In Arizona, three of 10 patients became infected with the serious bacterial infection called MRSA, the CDC said, when they were injected with a solution intended to make x-rays clearer. Another patient was found dead at home.
The CDC advises insisting that doctors, nurses and other clinic staff wash their hands before touching patients; that equipment is sterilized and prepared according to procedure and to check with your healthcare professional if you visited a clinic or hospital recently and have developed a fever, rash or cough.